Royal Mountain Travel are our primary partners and the inspiration behind Travel Nepal. Almost all of the tours and service you see on this website are operated by Royal Mountain, and if you need some help planning your dream trip to Nepal, then it’ll be one of their local experts who’ll be on hand to guide you through.
Founded by a group of trekkers in their home city of Kathmandu back in 2005, Royal Mountain have grown to become one of the most reputable and professional travel companies in Nepal, trusted to operate services for giants of the travel industry such as G Adventures and Cox & Kings. Their local knowledge and vast network of contacts are unmatched, so if you travel with Royal Mountain you’ll be in the very safest of hands.
What makes Royal Mountain really stand out is their values and approach to tourism, which is about far more than just profit. Since the very beginning, they committed to doing things differently and showing how the travel industry in Nepal could succeed in a more ethical and sustainable way.
Historically, tourism in Nepal has served to line the pockets of the privileged few, with little regard for the environment or the rest of Nepali society. Things needed to change.
Tourism is Nepal’s biggest industry, so a fairer tourism industry can create a fairer society.
But what does that mean, in practice?
- Banning single-use plastics from their offices, and working towards removing them from their supply chain entirely.
- Introducing solar power and water-saving equipment in their properties.
- Renewing their fleet of vehicles to include newer, more efficient models (including the introduction of electric cars).
- Removing elements of their tours which damage the environment or Nepal’s wildlife, such as the cruel practice of elephant riding.
- Ensuing that their guides and porters are paid fairly, and not exploited and overworked.
- Addressing gender inequality in Nepal by providing opportunities for women. Around 70% of Royal Mountain’s employees are now female.
- Creating a range of community-focused tours, as well as the award-winning Community Homestay Network which provides both authentic travel experiences and brings huge benefits to rural Nepal.
- Working with local organisations to create a better future for disadvantaged sections of Nepali society.
You can read Royal Mountain’s full sustainability policy here.
Don’t just take our word for it, Royal Mountain Travel are internationally recognised for their approach to tourism in Nepal;
Booking with a local company can be scary, we know, but there are great benefits too. We encourage you to consider Royal Mountain Travel as your go-to travel company in Nepal, and we’re sure you won’t regret it.